Monday 12 October 2009

Album Review: Djinee


It’s been a long time coming for Djinee, ever since his superlative vocal performance on 2005’s hit single ‘Ego’, fans have patiently waited for his debut album. In a rare feat, the artiste born Nosa Osayamwem held the title of veteran in the Nigerian music industry even though he had no album to his credit. From his video jockey days with Sound City to his new status as TV game show host, Djinee has remained in the public eye, displaying rare tenacity to survive in an industry that has consumed so many talents. After years of battling record label troubles, the storm is finally over.


Coming a good four years after the market demanded for it, Djinee’s self titled debut LP still ends up striking the right chords. Feeding off the buzz created by the singles ‘I No Dey Shame’ and ‘Lade’, the 17-track album is an eclectic blend of music featuring Soul, R’n’B, Rock and Gospel genres.

Receiving heavy rotation on radio is the third single ‘Overkillin’’, produced by Jesse Jagz; Djinee takes it to the streets on this one with the same style that that made M.I’s ‘Safe’ a hit song. Despite the seeming violent title, the song’s theme is Peace. Djinee reaches out to the youths with lyrics like ‘choose to finger Guitar than to finger my trigger/want to live rich to see my sons and my daughter…the lion fit dey sleep/but no think say you fit wake am”.

‘Come Sun, Come Rain’; a duet with Ego Ogbaro is one of the album’s finest tracks. Reminiscent of powerful duets like ‘Baby Come to Me’ by James Ingram & Anita Baker or R.Kelly & Celine Dion’s ‘I’m Your Angel’. Both artistes synchronize seamlessly and deliver superb vocal performances but Ego comes out a couple of miles ahead.

‘My Pillow’ comes across as a mellow heartfelt rendition from a doting lover, Djinee is at his soulful best crooning “should I run you a bath?/anyway you want it/should I make you laugh?/should I oil your back?...Let me be your warrior tonight, I’ll save your heart tonight/right here on my pillow…”

‘Forever’, ‘Forever remix’ and ‘Na My Wife’ are clear cut wedding songs, ‘Thank You’ and ‘My Love’ continue the love message while ’Give It To Me’ is a feel good/subtle party song. To complete the album is ‘Uruese’, where D’jinee does the near compulsory native language and Gospel track.

Production credit on the album includes; Cobhams Asuquo, Rymzo, Jesse Jags and M.I, with artiste guest appearances from other outstanding talents including; Nikki Laoye, Lindsey and Ice Prince. This album will appeal to true lovers of Nigerian R’n’b and Soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment